The national final 2013 was organised by VA (Public and Science) together with the four research councils Formas, Forte, VINNOVA and the Swedish Research Council. It took place on 5 December in Stockholm.
Nine contestants from different parts of Sweden qualified for the finals and came face-to-face at the Debaser Medis club in central Stockholm. During an evening compered by Swedish comedian Karin Adelsköld, they competed to discover which one is the most skilled communicator in Sweden and can give the most captivating, inspiring and educational presentation.
The expert judging panel consisted of actress and comedian Nour El-Refai, Patrik Hadenius, Editor of the Swedish magazine ‘Research & Progress’ and Göran Östlin, Professor of Astronomy at Stockholm University.
The prize was presented by Charlotte Brogren, Director General of VINNOVA, Sweden’s innovation agency and the winner was Andreas Ohlin, a researcher at Örebro University. Read an interview with Andreas Ohlin about his experience.
- Alva Appelgren, Karolinska Institute, researches how unconscious thoughts about intelligence affect how people react to mistakes
- Cecilia Berlin, Chalmers University of Technology, researches how demographic changes will affect Swedish and European manufacturing in the future
- Marco Bertoni, Blekinge Institute of Technology, researches product-service development
- Daniel Jönsson, Malmö University, researches why some people with poor oral hygiene don’t get problems with their teeth and gums
- Christina Isaxon, Lund University, researches air pollution and its particles to find out how they affect our health
- Per Kristensson, Karlstad University, researches consumer behaviour, thoughts and emotions
- Joachim Liedtke, Kristianstad University, researches how to facilitate the learning of foreign languages
- Andreas Ohlin, Örebro University Hospital, researches about very young children and the infections they get
- Andreas Svensson, Linnaeus University, researches the behavioural strategies of fish and other animals
The 2013 regional heats were held on 27 September in Gothenburg, Kalmar and Kronoberg County, Karlshamn, Karlstad, Kristianstad, Lund, Malmö, Stockholm and Örebro.
For more information
Anders Sahlman, Vetenskap & Allmänhet, coordinator of Researchers’ Grand Prix
+46 (0) 70-734 07 85, [email protected].
For information about the regional heats, please contact the local coordinators.